Monday, August 24, 2009

The last books of summer

I recently read an article in the New York Times about choosing your last big read of the summer. Until that point, I think I'd been in a bit of denial about summer coming to an end! However, teachers and staff will be back at school full-time as of next Monday, and students will be back just over a week later - hard though that may be to believe!

I'm looking forward to hearing about everyone's summer vacations including, of course, what great books you've been enjoying. Right now I'm listening to a wonderful audio version of King of the Cloud Forests by former British children's laureate Michael Morpurgo. It's an absorbing work of historical fiction with a highly imaginative twist: while fleeing China as the threat of Japanese invasion looms, our young protagonist is separated from his Tibetan caregiver and rescued by a group of yeti. Fans of Roland Smith's Sasquatch as well as wilderness survival stories will enjoy this tale of an extraordinary encounter in the Himalayas.

I've also just started reading Deep and Dark and Dangerous, a deliciously creepy ghost story by Mary Downing Hahn, master of spooky fiction, which is one of this year's Sasquatch Award nominees. My daughter loves scary books, but I'm much less brave than she is and need to avoid reading these kinds of stories too close to bedtime!

Remember to check out my Goodreads profile for more recommended books! I look forward to seeing you back at school very soon!

No comments: