Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Picture books: my personal top 10

I was very happy to receive several emails in response to my recent post about the merits of picture books! A few people shared their own favorite titles after reading the School Library Journal articles about the top 100 picture books of all time. This inspired me to ponder my own favorites.

So, without more ado, here are my top ten favorite picture books (bearing in mind that a list compiled on another day might look rather different)! Feel free to add a comment or send me an email with your own picks!

1. Bye Bye Baby: A Sad Story with a Happy Ending by Janet Ahlberg
2. Cannonball Simp by John Burningham
3. The Church Mouse by Graham Oakley
4. The Green Ship by Quentin Blake
5. A Lion in the Meadow by Margaret Mahy
6. The Shape Game by Anthony Browne
7. Shin’s Tricycle by Tatsuharu Kodama
8. Show Way by Jacqueline Woodson
9. A Story for Bear by Dennis Haseley
10. Tadpole’s Promise by Tony Ross

No comments: