Monday, December 20, 2010

Penny Dreadful by Laurel Snyder

I hope each and every one of you is equipped with a book - or preferably a stack of books! - to look forward to settling down with over winter break. I'm in the middle of Penny Dreadful by Laurel Snyder, a truly delightful tale about a little girl whose life turns upsidedown in an instant following a magic (or is it?) wish she makes...

If you liked Half Magic by Edward Eager or The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall or Savvy by Ingrid Law, this is your kind of book! Penelope Grey, later known as Penny, is an only child who has lived a life of great comfort and elegance, even if it's a rather lonely one. When her father walks out on his job out of the blue one day, this impulsive move has enormous consequences for the entire family. There is struggle and anxiety, yes, but also new possibilities and adventures never before dreamed of.

In between reading, I'm also looking forward to spending time in Washington, DC with my family, including my 5-month-old niece, and my best friend from high school. I wish you all a Happy New Year and look forward to seeing you in January!

No comments: