Friday, June 8, 2012

Six-word memoirs by our 4th graders

Once again our students surpassed my wildest expectations. I decided to see what would happen if I challenged our 4th graders to write six-word memoirs. I shared a few examples from SMITH Magazine's compilation I Can't Keep My Own Secrets: Six-Word Memoirs by Teens Famous & Obscure. Then I set them loose.

They wrote some amazing lines full of humor and courageous honesty. Here are just a few. Check out the six-word memoir teen site, where young people can submit their own contributions and browse other people's. Also, check out this opportunity to see your work published!

Sister flushed homework down the toilet.
Making ninja stars for my protection.
Crazy monkey brothers make me laugh.
My mom got double the trouble.
Am I the sea god’s daughter?
Always remember what happened to Sneetches.
Libraries: everything that I always wanted.
Beware! Mood swings possible from me.
I am more active in nature.
My pencil is a magic wand.
Life is easy, but I’m not.
I ran through life without stopping.
I hate but love my sis.
I never got to go ballistic.
Technology is a bad human miracle.
Pets normally comfort where humans can’t.
My heart loves every living thing.
Sometimes you shouldn’t have started dreaming.
I sing terribly, but I rock.
How to make your room disco.
Let me watch more Doctor Who!
Feeding a zoo. Cats, dogs, family.
I love being a weird girl.
I read, thus I can fly.
Not a people whisperer, but an animal.
Dark thoughts in my head; scared.
Learning warms me like a blanket.
I don’t believe in fairy tales.
Hamster bungee diving, I’m in trouble.
Bend the rules, don’t break them.
What ifs sadly mean no sleep.
Lessons are learned the hard way.
Always judge books by their middle.
Sorry, mom, I have gone wild.
I’m in touch with other mammals.
Brother used homework as torture device.
Life goal? Don’t have one yet.
Fast forward. That is my speed.

No comments: