Last year I challenged students to read their way around the world by reading one book set in or authored by someone from every continent. This school year there's a new challenge: Bobcat Book Bingo!
Even with thousands of new books published each year, it's possible to fall into a rut. This is a fun and easy way to expand your reading horizons.These 5th graders can't wait to get started:
Here's our bulletin board with a few suggested titles:
Want to participate? Just stop by the Library Learning Commons to fill out an entry form and pick up a book (or two or three...). There are 25 different categories to choose from.* Record your books as you go!
The challenge is open to K-8, and parents and staff are welcome to join in. The first person at each grade level to get a BINGO will win a $10 University Book Store gift card!
*A list of categories in case you're wondering...
- Graphic novel
- Translated from another language
- Published this year
- Novel in verse
- Biography or memoir
- Published before 1990
- Narrative nonfiction
- Fantasy or science fiction
- Mystery or suspense
- National award winner
- Wilderness adventure
- Book that's been made into a movie
- Scary book
- Short story collection
- Set in another country
- Sports fiction
- Humorous fiction
- Book with animal protagonists
- Realistic fiction
- On a topic you don't know much about
- Story set during wartime
- In a format you don't usually read
- Realistic book about someone who doesn't look like or live like you
- Set in the Pacific Northwest
- Free choice (in the middle)